Re: government regulations on making lures

[ Ol' Paw's Fishing Tackle Bulletin Board ] [ Ol' Paw's Fishing Page ]

Posted by FritzL ( on March 11, 2003 at 05:57:09:

I know this is a bit late (I've been out of the loop for a while), but as a sole-propriator you DO NOT need to get an 'emplyee identification number' (I think Mark had meant 'Employer ID Number') or file estimated quarterly taxes unless you make over a certain amount.

If you want to make the lures and sell them at swap meets (flea market, depending on your geographical region), a permanent 'yard-sale' (if legal in your area) or on the 'Net through buy/sell sites as a cash only business, then you COULD (not that I recomend this) get away without even reporting any of this income or collecting taxes.

Yes, you will need a business license if you are going to sell/market your lures as a business as well as collect sales tax & file a quarterly report (if you make over $5,000, or $500 - I forget, in profit).

As far as the materials allowed by law for the manufacture of lures, you should be able to get this info from your state's fish & game or wildlife management bureaus. Basically, you are not allowed to make lures that are toxic to the enviroment (lead is still allowed, for weight, the last time I looked, however) - this includes the actual material and any paints or dyes used for coloring.

Good luck,
- FL

See Items Repaired With Durafix

Durafix Aluminum
Repair Rod Demo