Re: Mitchell 302 handle

[ Ol' Paw's Fishing Tackle Bulletin Board ] [ Ol' Paw's Fishing Page ]

Posted by Buford Carney ( on April 02, 2003 at 11:04:02:

In Reply to: Re: Mitchell 302 handle posted by Rob Allen on April 01, 2003 at 18:53:51:

: : I need a handle for a Mitchell 302. I think a 302, 306, 402 and 906 are all interchangeable

: Might be able to help you out with a handle for your Mitchell 302. I collect Mitchells & have a fair number of spare parts. You're right, in that several different Mitchell handles will fit on a 302. Of course, to a collector there are several different vintage versions of handles that are correct for the different versions of the 302 over the nearly 30 years it was produced. It would help to know what you want. As a guide the common early handle is straight out of the hub piece w/smooth bullet shaped nut at rear. The common later style's handle rises at an angle from the hub & has a squared coarse grip nut at end. Both have black plastic torpedo knobs & are dull aluminum. The 402s went thru the similar changes, but are chrome over brass & have round plastic knobs. Let me know what you'd like. What went wrong w/your old handle?
Mine should have been made around 1975, from your descriptions it sounds like the second one you mentioned.The threaded part that goes into the nut broke when trying to remove the nut due to corrosion or galling.

See Items Repaired With Durafix

Durafix Aluminum
Repair Rod Demo